Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Gambler

There’s a great 70’s song by Kenny Rogers that has the refrain:

“You got to know when to hold ‘em\know when to fold ‘em\know when to walk away and know when to run\You never count your money when you’re sittin’ at the table\They’ll be time enough for countin’ when the dealin’s done.”

Despite the fact that Kenny Rogers bears a close resemblance to Grizzly Adams, his lyrics have a timeless point.

You’ve been hearing the wailing and the gnashing of the teeth about the deadbeats. I know in the back of your heads you’re thinking, “Buck up buttercup---what are you gonna do about it?”

Well kids, modesty and plain old simple common sense prevent me from disclosing a plan of action at this time. After all the very people who have got us into this situation may very well be reading my tomes right along with you, gentle reader.

Only a true dumb ass would tip his or her hand. But I will leave you with an insight into my personality and this image.

I actually got money back from a mortgage company after they made me pay a pre-payment fee for refinancing with another company. Trust me, that little episode is a story unto itself. Let’s suffice it to say when the words “predatory lending” and a twenty page packet goes out to every elected official I could think of plus Ms. Oprah; you’d be surprised how quickly someone will cut you a check.

Naturally it took some time and effort on my end, but the point is I still prevailed.

Even though the validity of the intelligence of the fierce raptor breed of dinosaur continues to be debated, one of my favorite things about the Jurassic Park series is how smart and determined they were for a warm blooded meal.

When they couldn’t overwhelm you with their strength or with their numbers, they would try and run you down. When they couldn’t run you down, they simply lowered their head in the tall grass and waited for the sucker that would be their next meal to make a mistake. Eyes glinting, visions of Homo Sapiens cutlets running through their heads

Consider my head lowered.

No comments: