Friday, September 12, 2008

Epilogue

It’s been a little over a month since the last shots were fired at the end of the block.

And believe it or not I haven’t seen any of the restless youth that normally hang on the corner.

Now what happened, I’m not sure.

But I do know that this new addition has been made to the building:


‘Cause without the restless youth hanging out the likely hood of shots being tossed decreases dramatically.

Via records from the Cook County Assessors and Treasurer, I discovered that the owners of the building are WECAN (Woodlawn East Community and Neighbors). And while I had my doubts about their tenant screening process, my faith has been renewed.

Once again, I have no clue what’s going on down there.

I don’t know if the adults have reclaimed their households or if WECAN had a come to Jesus meeting with some (or all) of their tenants.

Somebody laid down the law.

All I know is that the bullets have stopped whizzing.

1 comment:

The North Coast said...

It's amazing how a violent crime spike in an area can almost always be traced back to one individual, or a handful at most.

Moral of the story is that the good work of many tens of thousands of people in area, in building and maintaining a good, safe community, can be so quickly undone by a handful of thugs. I recall a spate of rapes and murders in otherwise pristine Lakeview back in the 90s, and thought, it is amazing how one killer and a copycat were able to terrorize and totally destroy the texture of daily life for approximately 90,000 people on the north lakefront.

I hope your problem remains solved. It's a lesson for the rest of us in the importance of staying on top of your local landlords who have slumlord tendacies.