Sunday, November 26, 2006

Game

If you’ve been reading this blog, you know by now that an unjust fine that was foisted upon us by the city of Chicago for our developer’s misdeeds.

I’ve chronicled the process of my condo association’s journey through the maze of city departments.

Usually when I sought assistance with this nightmare, I was usually told either by the state or the city that there was very little that anyone or any department could do for us.

Our association lawyer even told us that things didn’t look good.

If you’ve been reading for the past year or so, you know that the city did everything by the book. It wasn’t their fault that our developer, Carlton Knight, didn’t inform us of the impending legal matters before us.

If memory severs me correct, Mr. Knight said that an irresponsible employee was to blame for the miscommunication.

Whatever.

In a stroke of luck The Lord High Executioner put me in touch with an individual at the Department of Revenue that I’ll call Mr. Money Bags.

Mr. Money Bags lost the initial paperwork I submitted to him over a month ago.

While I was pissed, I still went ahead and resubmitted the paperwork again last Tuesday.

Mr. Money Bags called me back and was mystified what we had to do with this whole debacle and why were we worried about the consequences.

I referenced some of the paperwork that I sent and explained to him that we were listed as third party defendants to the complaint. Therefore we were liable for the initial debt, the interest and the court costs.

Money Bags vehemently disagreed.

He again stated that the initial fine had nothing to do with our building or condo association.

Once again, I told him that despite that fact that he was absolutely 100% correct, that had nothing to do with the fact that we named as third party defendants.

Mr. Money Bags said he needed to put in a phone call to the law firm that was charged with collecting our debt and would call me back in about 20 minutes.

20 minutes later he was back on the phone.

“Woody, I just got an education in how these things work. You were right.”

“I’ve spoken with Wexler (the law firm) and they are starting the paperwork right now to vacate the judgment. Everything should be cleared up by Christmas.”

Who says gentle persistence won’t work?

No comments: