Monday, May 12, 2008

Skokie's Come Calling

Yes, the real estate market is in the shitter.

This should come as no surprise to those of you who may have tried to refi or purchase a home in the past 12 months.

Apparently someone forgot to tell the new owners of one of the vintage apartment buildings down the street from me.

I should have known something was up when parking became a little bit easier.

One day the building was full, the next---no one was there.

And then the hammering started.

After a basic search online of county records and the ever reliable Everyblock, I’m relieved to see that the current owners have received the proper permits for the renovations that they’re performing.

There was no way that all of that hammering wasn’t going to attract attention.

Well at least attention from me.

But now the question begs who are the current owners and is the place going to be condoed out?

At first glance, it seems that Astor Properties out of Skokie put the building in a land trust but as we all know, that could be a front for yet another limited liability corporation. I won’t be able to tell you until I take a trip downtown to request copies of the deed and building permits.

But if everything is on the up and up, why haven’t they posted the building permit in a conspicuous place?

Time will tell if this outfit is legit and plans to turn out quality condos or at the very least a quality building.

I’m cautiously optimistic that this renovation will turn out well and add value to our little ‘hood.

I hope that the design of both the interior and exterior stay within the existing standard.

Believe it or not Woodlawn has design standards.

Aside from the people who want to treat our neighborhood like a rubbish bin, I really do live on a pretty block. Most of the 100 plus year old buildings are in reasonably good shape despite years of neglect.

That’s my nice way of saying that I hope the new owner(s) doesn’t paint the brick facade pink and plant huge sunflowers all over the yard.

Don’t laugh, I’ve actually seen that.

Because between you and me it would be nice to see that building’s lawn become a patch of green happiness.

No comments: