Saturday, January 30, 2010

Spirit of Cooperation

Remember earlier in the month I asked if we could "build a bridge, get over ourselves and be able to conduct association business?"

Judging by the scathing letter sent by The Teacher last night, clearly the answer is no.

This letter was addressed to our association president with most of the other owners cc'd in:

"How soon can we expect the problem to move from "being addressed" to actually "being fixed." I'm not certain if we are talking about the same door, but I am talking about the front door to your building. I'm not sure if you have noticed that it is beyond an electrical issue, the actual lock handle is getting stuck, not the buzzer. I hope you do not tell an electrician to fix it when it should also be a lock repair person who can give you an assessment of the problem and the cost to fix it. I am curious as to who told you it was a weather related electrical problem? Have you gotten a second opinion? If not, you should probably get a second opinion because it is clearly a lock/handle issues also, not just weather related. Last week when the weather got up to the 40's, was it not still stuck? I ask because as a unit owner, I want to make sure my assessment payments are used wisely for things to get done correctly the first time around.

This is not just an "inconvenience," as you describe it. It is a serious fire safety, hazardous issue that must be fixed as soon as possible, especially with children in your building who, on an emergency basis, may need to exit without having a cell phone or access to the back. Please notify me if your repair person does not fix the problem today, as you indicated in the posted sign, so that I can be sure to follow up with you.

Also, what is the status of the Federal ID numbers that you said last month you would resolve? Any movement on that end, it is tax time after all and we still do not have a correct tax #?

When can unit owners expect a meeting again? The bylaws indicate that we should have meet in January, but unit owners have not received anything related to a board meeting. Given that you expressed your thorough knowledge of the bylaws at the last board meeting, I am curious as to why you have not taken the steps needed to have the required January meeting? After all, adhering to the bylaws was a HUGE concern at the last meeting, as you may recall.

I am also wondering what is the hold up with the board supplying the unit owners with an annual budget. I know I typed up a draft for you a month ago and the board reviewed it at the subcommittee meeting. Do you still need more help to hold a meeting to approve the budget for distribution to unit owners? It is also in the bylaws, which you appeared to be well versed in at the last meeting, to provide annual budget for unit owners. Do you need more help with that too? Please let me know.

Also, what is the status of the management company? Unit owners want to know, and need to know, if we are indeed getting a management company. Ironically enough, the people who are complaining about not having a management company are usually the same people who can't even afford to pay their assessments! In any event, I know that having a management company was a huge concern for you, me, and several other unit owners at the last meeting. If I recall correctly, it was you and your daughter who were the most vocal in insisting on a management company. Now that you are the board president, what is the delay with getting a management company?

Finally, are you aware if there has been any progress on ANY of the violations? What steps are you taking, as president, to ensure that we are ready for the next court date? Please let me know.

Although we are not on the board, XXXX, XXXX, and I (a few others, too), we have been very active in trying to get quotes for the board. Have you attempted to get any quotes also, since you are the president? Maybe XXXX can help, if she is not too busy? XXXX was very concerned about board issues at the last meeting and maybe that can translate into something positive, actual work with the board, now that you are board president? Maybe, just a thought? In reality, right now, it looks like the board needs all the help it can get, so really, ANYONE who can get a quote would be great. Please let me know.

You now know that being on the board is a constant amount of work, so thank you for stepping up to the plate and being the board president to lead in the resolution of all these problems. Unless of course, if you pass off the work to other people who are not on the board, then that is simply passing the buck! But I am certain you won't make that foolish mistake of passing board work off to nonboard members, because people will complain about it behind your back, as some already have, and start talking about your inability to follow-up. Just so you are aware.

The only other thing I can say is......I sure am glad I'm not on the board, it's too much work! I know that you can now finally appreciate the amount of work it takes!

Thanks again."


Thanks again?

Wow...

I can't imagine why our condo board meetings are filled with tension and drama.

The Teacher was certainly on a roll yesterday. That wasn't the only thing she had on her mind.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I like that letter. More people should be that straight forward and call people out for being inept. If I wasn't such a passive aggressive WASP, I could do it. I also really liked her style of throwing in a few jabs towards the end - all passive aggressive-like.

Good luck with your drama! I only wish I had the balls to write about ours on the interwebs.

The Woodlawn Wonder said...

E. it's not what is said, but how it's said.

briyan said...

i like this blog,keep posting...


secret code's

kwintessential said...

And this person is not on the board, but doing a great deal of complaining. It sounds like that person should be running for board president.