Friday, November 30, 2007

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I don’t know about your own private Idaho but around here the neighbors always keep it interesting.


The Good
My new downstairs neighbor had her music up a tad too loud during the evening hours on Tuesday night. I knocked on her door and asked if she could turn it down and she promptly complied---end of story, right?

Nope.

The next day when I open my front door to leave and a brief note of apology with a loaf of zucchini bread were on my doorstep. What type of love is that? I knew this kid would be okey doke.


The Bad
Not only do I have new neighbors across the way in the building next door---which now forces me to close my dining room blinds---but someone who lives in my building threw out what appears to be some type of mortgage application in the common trash bin in our hallway.

Now anyone who has half a brain in their head wouldn’t throw out an application that has a name, address, social security number AND (wait for it…) a complete bureau copy of their credit record along with FICO score.

Holy crap, the lady on the application has better credit than 99.9% of most Americans. If I were her and found out about this breech of security, I’d hand someone their ass so they could were it as a hat.

God I’d be pissed.

Now anyone could of thrown that documentation in the trash but I have a sneaking suspicion who it may be. Remind me to thoroughly question the sensitive information disposal tatics of any realtors or mortgage people I might patronize in the future.

And just in case you’re wondering, yes I’ll go ahead and tear up the application is tiny little pieces before I throw it away.


The Ugly
If you think on a larger scale, you could say that the entity of the City of Chicago is all of our neighbors.

That being said, the city finally completed the parkway project and finally put down the neon green spray on grass on Wednesday. Picture the relish on a traditional Chicago hot dog and that’s the color of the spray on goop.

It’s not pretty but I hope that with a great deal of prayer and people not trampling it, the seed will take and we’ll have grass next year. Naturally that’s easier said than done.

Mere hours after the grass was laid I saw a woman tromp through the dirt and goop in her finery, then worry aloud if the green was going to permanently stair her shoes and pants.

Now the city worked really hard to put in a nice new sidewalk complete with ADA compliant corners. It would of taken two extra seconds for her to walk on the sidewalk instead of walking through the parkway and the newly laid seed.

I hope the cuffs of her pants are ruined. Serves her right.

No comments: