Sunday, November 13, 2005

Shot Over The Bow

So my developer has responded back to my fraud charges with a letter to the Attorney General. I'm reproducing it verbatim:

November 6, 2005

XXXX
Office of the Attorney General
State of Illinois
Consumer Protection Division
50 West Washington Street
Chicago, IL 60602

RE: XXXX
File No: 2005-CONSC-00135772

Ms. XXXX,

When my partners and myself purchased the XXXX, it was the worst building on the block. It is now one of the best, if not the best. Our idea was to create homes in our community for people in he community, and we kept our prices low. This was our first condo conversion, so it may not have been perfect, but an effort was made to satisfy everyone. I have made myself available to every owner to address their concerns, taking care of some repairs years after their purchase, using personal funds as recent as 2 months ago replacing a condenser for 1503, 1st floor.

It seems odd that Ms. XXXX did not receive her Bylaws and Declarations since our broker, Metro Pro, gave a set to each purchaser upon signing their contract. In addition, Ms. XXXX was represented by attorney XXXX from July 30 2001 until her closing November 15 2001 and it was part of his responsibility to ensure that she obtained all documents for her purchase. Coincidentally Mr. XXXX is now the board's attorney. We also had available at the turnover, Bylaws and Declarations, but Ms. XXXX did not attend, I surmise because she was behind in her assessments and was in danger of being evicted by the board, and she had given the board numerous bad checks.

The XXXX Condominium consists of one (1) building not 3, and it has 6 different addresses for 3 entrances, therefore the permit would only have one address for the entire building.

Ms. XXXX memory did not serve her correctly. There were no walls torn out to the studs. Any new drywall was placed over the existing walls, as the Property Report stated. The property was to be remodeled with plumbing fixtures, and electrical fixtures replaced. The rear porch was repaired with new lumber where needed for support, and new decking and stairs installed and then painted for a uniform appearance, and this was explained to all potential purchasers.

I agree that after 4 years the porch has deteriorated and needs repair. Replacement is an option that the board has chosen. The price of $81,000 is extremely high, and after discussing this price with the current board president, XXXX, he agrees, but says he was out voted by others on the board that contains members that have consistently attempted to use their positions for self serving acts and personal gain, Ms. XXXX included.

The electrical consisted of replacing fixtures, outlets, switches, exterior lighting and wiring the HVAC in each unit.

Each furnace is gas operated, not electric as Ms. XXXX states and does not operate through an illegal ComEd hook-up. Ms. XXXX should be aware of this via her Peoples Energy bill.

There was a separate feed for the air conditioners installed, and we contacted ComEd on multiple occasions to install a meter and the City and ComEd have inspected and read the meters many times in 4 years and have not noted any dangerous or hazardous conditions.

At one time I owned a property on 75th and Colfax, not 79th and Colfax, and my office may have received notice of a fine, but I was not aware. From 2000 to early 2002 I attended my mother who was ill with cancer and passed and basically my staff ran the properties, which caused many problems. I have no idea why the XXXX Condo Association is involved, and I agree that their name should be removed, but the association attorney must motion that since I do not represent the association.

As far as my past financial problems are concerned, they have nothing to do with the issues, but further illustrate the personal nature of these accusations, which is surprising, because it is obvious Ms. XXXX had financial difficulties of her own at one time.

In closing I can only say all work was done with the required permits, and the nature of the work to be done was specified in the property report. I will also note that months ago an offer was made to Ms. XXXX to re-purchase her unit at the purchase price plus interest on her equity, but she did not respond, probably because the unit she purchased for $125,000 is now valued at $200,000.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

XXXX

cc: Illinois Attorney General's Office--Fraud Division
Assistant Commissioner Barbara Gressel
Senator Richard Durbin
Senator Barack Obama
State Representative Kwame Raoul
State Senator Barbara Flynn Currie
Alderman Leslie A. Hairston


Are you kidding me? This is almost too easy. My response will be forthcoming.

No comments: