Thursday, July 27, 2006

Commerce, Finally

Praise Jesus.

The Walgreens has finally opened up near my house.

Now I won't either have to trek to Chatham, Hyde Park or the Loop in order to pick up medicine or take advantage of the great weekly sales.

Because I don't have a car trying to get to Walmart or Target is troublesome. What's even worse is carrying my purchases home. Only so much will fit into a grocery cart.

So I sat down one day with my Sunday ads and did side by side price comparisons of the sale goods that Target and Walgreens offered. It turned out that the prices were either a wash or there wasn't that much of a difference.

The bright light popped on and I came to the conclusion that instead of schlepping to Target or begging for a ride, that I would simply hit the five Walgreens near my work to get my household items.

You see my friends I like to buy in bulk and I like to clip coupons. What can I say---I'll spend money on good hooch but shop for the best value for my dish soap.

Go figure?

Plus I don't want to be left stranded on the toliet when there's two feet of snow on the ground and I have no toliet paper.

Now that's a lonely and uncomfortable feeling.

The only drawback is I have to get to items from work to home.

At the worst it takes several weeks worth of trips. If I'm lucky I can convince a friend to come and pick me up after work and I just load up all of my stuff.

Now with a Walgreens three blocks away this process just got a whole lot less involved.

My big late summer/early fall stock up is in full effect, yo!

At least you guys know where to write if you need some cleanser or paper goods.

1 comment:

Paradise said...

This is a great post, in what it highlights about the 'big box' so-called discount stores and the type of society they foster.

What your post highlights is that Walmart and Target are products of suburbanization,make us more car-dependent, and that they and the suburban sprawl they are part of are poisonous to the development of liveable, walkable city neighborhoods. Most of all, in a prolonged energy crunch, the suburban lifestyle and its accessories, such as big, ugly big-box megastores, will be unsustainable, and the people who invested most heavily in it will experience the most hardship down the road, when we really and truly cannot support it anymore.

The more big box stores we have, with their parking lots that are bigger than the average small town, the more cars we will have.

The more cars we have, the less of a city we have, as the buses and trains cut back because of lack of riders, and the population disperses to ever further removed automobile suburbs.

And the more of THAT type of development we have, the more gas we will use and the more expensive life will get.

It's interesting that you noted that any price difference between Target and Walgreen's was a 'wash'. I noticed the same thing, when I took my big trolley cart onto the 215 Pace bus in search of specials at the Target on Howard St.

Two things became immediately clear: To begin with, I saw that I would no way be able to cope with the fully loaded trolley on the bus, and most of all, I was not saving any money over what I would spend shopping the sales and using coupons at the Dominic's, and having them deliver the stuff as I usually do, for a charge of $10 or so.

Which means that it is not only more economical, but more comfortable and convenient to do what a dedicated city dweller does, which is remain carless, and do your shopping up and down the transit lines. I buy all my big heavy staples once per month and have them brought to the apt. which saves effort and most of all saves me the hundreds of $$$ a minamal crud auto would cost me just in payments, insurance, parking, and gas. By using CTA for all my personal transportation and having stuff delivered and shipped, my total transportation costs, inclusive of monthly pass, shipping on online orders, and grocery delivery, are less than $125 a month, and most months less than $100.