Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Refrigerator

I came home a few weeks ago to an unexpected surprise.

My cat Jack had somehow gotten into the refrigerator and pulled out a majority of it’s contents, ate and scattered them hither and yon, then proceeded to leave the door open so all of the contents inside warmed up to salmonella breeding temperatures.

Actually that’s not true---the contents and the open refrigerator themselves were down right hot. So much so that the closed freezer above started to warm up and its contents were mere hours away from turning into mush themselves.

Needless to say that all of my dairy products had to meet Mr. Trash Can.

I was not a happy camper.

One of the unfortunate results of Jack’s tumor is that more than likely it’s pressing into his stomach and making eating and digestion generally uncomfortable for him.

Since he’s not getting any nutrition his fur is falling out in droves.

He can barely keep any type of food down.

When his dry food became too much for his stomach, he simply stopped eating. I switched to a wet food and he ate it but quickly became disenchanted.

I truly don’t know if it was the food, the flavor or that he can’t eat as much as he’d like in any one sitting.

Throwing up is seemingly a daily occurrence for my friendly furry man.

He barely eats anything but still has an appetite.

That got me to thinking that he can’t be that far gone with this cancer thing if he still wants to eat.

So like the good cat mother I try to be I started feeding him people and baby food.

Cooked turkey sausage, Gerber chicken stix & meat stix, tuna---you name it I tried to feed it to him.

Now he’d eat his new meals for a day or two---just long enough to fool me into thinking that I’d found the solution. And then as suddenly as he’d start eating, he’d stop.

The last time he went to the vet a few weeks ago he weighed less than 10 pounds. I’m sure that number has gone down as well.
So imagine my surprise when I found steaks on the living room carpet.

Who knew a cancer ridden cat with one eye and mangy looking fur could pull multiple steaks out of the frig?

At this point you’re probably wondering how the cat got into the refrigerator in the first place.

Rushing to get out of the house one morning, I may have not fully closed the door as I grabbed my yogurt on the way to the train.

All Jack had to do was slip a well placed paw into even the tiniest gap and pop that bad boy open.

The rest you already know.

He may not be long for this world but at least he’s going out fighting.

1 comment:

Robinsen Clerk said...

Thank you for always going above and beyond to ensure the success of a project.