Saturday, January 05, 2008

Curious Woody

Maybe it’s just me.

Perhaps I’ve missed the point.

I might not be firing on all cylinders.

Back in October of 2006 I asked the Lord High Executioner how was it possible that real estate developers were securing permits from DCAP without actually being a member of the real estate developer’s registry.

After all, the ordinance was to ensure “that only licensed developers could apply for building permits, this ordinance helps improve the quality of building construction.”

At least that’s what the February 11, 2004 press release said.

When the LHE started digging for an answer to my simple little question, he was told that it’s difficult to hold developer’s feet to the fire as there is no way the city can prove an individual’s intent to sell when they're applying for their permits.

In short, the ordinance can’t even begin to protect the average home buying consumer because all a shady developer has to do is not declare their intent to sell.

Then you have cut rate, half assed work and possible code violations. Once you sign your name on the dotted line, the jokes on you---it’s your entire problem.

You join the society of “God I wish I knew that back then.”

Luckily you have me to help you along the way.

Interestingly enough---and if I’ve connected all of the dot correctly---Carlton Knight is developing a single family home on the 3200 block on south Rhodes Avenue.

Naturally he flew through the DCAP permit process aided by his expediter.

And to the best of my knowledge, Mr. Knight still has not taken the step to be included on the developer’s registry for the City of Chicago.

I may be wrong---I need to go fill out Freedom of Information Act request forms anyway. It’s not like I have a job or anything. Perhaps since the last time I checked he went ahead and complied with the ordinance.

Hope springs eternal, no?

Unemployment is murder on the finances but does leave me copious amounts of time to dig through city and federal records.

The larger question is now that his intent to sell the property is in the public domain; will the city void his permits and throw a cease & desist order on the construction?

Just curious.

No comments: