Sunday, April 06, 2008

Draining

Yes, I’ve been missing lately. Please excuse my absense.

After all, waitressing and working seemingly every part time job possible can take a toll on a sister. It took about three weeks for my feet and back to stop outright throbbing.

Methinks that I can now run a marathon in heels.

Just because I’m working day and night to make ends meet doesn’t mean that I don’t have stories to tell.

The latest involves why you should always make sure that you have a legitimate developer who has obtained all of his or her legitimate licenses regarding your building.

Note I said legitimate licenses.

Carlton Knight obtained “licenses” but they were to replace walls and to erect a fence. Trust me, I have copies of the permit applications.

You want to make sure that little things like the plumbing and roof have been covered as well.

But I digress.

After many years of having their low-end laminate kitchen cabinets, my next door neighbors decided to upgrade and get new cabinets.

They shopped, saved their money, made their purchases and set an installation date.

The appointed time came and the workers started to rip out their old cabinets.

But a small wrinkled developed.

The “T” drain that funnels water from the kitchen of both of our units was damaged when the base cabinets were being moved.

As I’m sure you know, most bathrooms and kitchens in a development are placed in generally the same place so the water and drainage lines can be in the same location.

You see my friends, when our developer “rehabbed” our units he merely made cosmetic changes.

If you’ve been a long time reader of this blog you’ve read the stories.

But this time the “T” drain in the kitchen of my neighbor’s unit was being held together by insulation foam resting on the base kitchen cabinet.

Did I mention that the “T” drain was completely rusted ?

Now I’m not a Rhodes Scholar, but I’m confident that if the plumbing was updated when all of us first bought into this development over six years ago it wouldn’t of rusted.

Hell, can you even put metal pipes in buildings anymore?

Ironically, when my neighbor directly below me rehabbed her kitchen, she didn’t have any problems. And might I add her new kitchen is the shit.

Hotness personified.

Nonetheless because the drain runs between both of our units, I couldn’t wash the dishes or run the dish washer.

Like I need an excuse to not do housework.

Unfortunately my neighbors had to pay over $700 to get the “T” drain fixed. If they didn’t any kitchen water both units would of run would of gone directly into the walls.

And we all know that water is a home owner’s worst enemy.

The moral of this story is that when you’re looking for a condo and you get that funny little feeling about the things you can see, be very concerned about the things you can’t.

No comments: