Saturday, December 12, 2009

Things Fall Apart

Drama is afoot within the association.

While I've seen infighting before, it has now reached such a vitriolic levels we can't get any business done.

Which isn't good when you have important business that needs to be conducted.

And when I say vitriolic I mean highly personal attacks during condo board meetings.

Highly personal.

So feelings have been hurt and lines have been drawn.

Since I haven't been to a single meeting in quite awhile I'm going on what has been communicated to me by others and by those who send me e-mails.

Because as I'm sure you all remember, I decided to absolve myself of helping with any condo business partly due to nasty confrontation with a neighbor last year.

But that wasn't only the straw that broke the camel's back.

Mostly the apathy of most of my fellow owners pissed me off to no end. Everyone wants everything done yesterday but isn't willing to truly commit to the effort.

So fuck it.

I'd never asked for a dime of payment for my efforts but being taken for granted and then being told that you're a bad neighbor was just too much.

I rarely get too emotional. I'm not a yeller or a screamer by nature so often people mistake me looking at them like they're crazy as a sign of passiveness.

Losing ones cool often leads to larger drama and who needs that?

But once you're on the list---once you've reached my limit---game on.

Then it's scorched earth.

I'm not proud of that personality trait but I realize that I fall extremely short of God's grace.

It wasn't until a few days ago that I didn't understand how far I'd fallen.

2 comments:

Erin said...

uh oh...what happened? whose earth did you scortch?

The North Coast said...

Please remind me of why I still want to buy a pandemonium. We have some very nutty condo buildings up here on the North Side. If there were any truth in real estate advertising, you'd see notes like this on the multilist sheets instead of the usual bragging about granite counters and spa tubs:

Like,

SPECIAL ASSESSMENT CITY XXXX N SHERIDAN ROAD!!! 5-ROOM WITH INADEQUATE KITCHEN, 40-YEAR-OLD ELECTRICAL, AND LEAKY PLUMBING IN 85-YEAR OLD MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE MANAGED BY LUNATICS!!!! ORIGINAL FURNACE BOILER!!

or

You will LUUUV this spacious handyman's special on the most INTERESTING BLOCK in the neighborhood. The meanest homies in the 'hood are running the turf here so you will have GREAT SECURITY! The previous owner took the kitchen with him so it's ready for your personal touches! Will not pass inspection. No occupancy permit. No financing available. Previous board president absconded with the reserve fund so there will be a special assessment for new windows.