Monday, March 20, 2006

Sights Seen

Sunday when I was out getting a few groceries I a few things that caught my eye:

Two guys decked out in the latest urban gear replete with wool stocking caps and menacing looks, in a low rider car bumping tunes with a baby seat in the back and a gay pride rainbow flag on the bumper.

Now that’s diversity.

A young man on the bus wiping his red swollen face---I later found out that he had just been maced by a family friend seemingly for no reason.

He said he was going to cut her head off. Personally I don’t think he literally meant it. If I were her, I’d watch my step.

Young, tall, freshly scrubbed, milk fed Mormons giving witness about their faith.

Now either we’ve come up as a neighborhood to have Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses come through or we’ve fallen as I only thought Mormons spent their mission year in ravaged third world hell holes.

Either way you can’t beat a pair of stary-eyed optimists walking the streets of the south side talking about God.

The irony is that there is a seemingly a church on every corner so apparently there isn’t a lack of faith in these parts.

I wonder if the Jehovah’s Witnesses will be pissed off that the Mormons are edging in on their turf.

Jets and Sharks indeed.

No comments: