Sunday, October 30, 2005

It's The Principle, People

One of my friends recently asked me why I didn’t sell my place and end this drama.

While it’s easiest to turn tail and run, not only can’t I sell but I’m not going to back down from my unethical developer.

Silly me to think it’s unreasonable to assume that the electric in a newly rehabbed condo is grounded and that the back porches aren’t a death trap. I’m such a goose.

Honestly, who in God’s name is going to buy into an association with major infrastructure problems, a low reserve, a special assessment (with another possibly on the way) in an emerging neighborhood? While I truly believe in the potential of this neighborhood other people don’t exactly get it---they’ll jump on the bandwagon later as soon as we get a Starbucks and a Target.

You know---kind of like all of these new “life long” White Sox fans that litter the Chicago landscape these days.

Everybody loves a winner but few are willing to stick around during the lean years.

Additionally, our developer was required by specific rules to construct our building up to code. There is no way that we should be going through this drama less than three years after the association was turned over. Not only do I believe that he’s clearly in the wrong but his irresponsibility and mismanagement is costing all of us money.

Even if I could sell I wouldn’t---it’s just the principle of the thing.

No comments: