Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Don’t Take It Personally

Leave it to me to stir up a hornet’s nest.

My communication about the cracks that have developed in our maintenance schedule was not received with open arms by everyone. Some people took it very personally; others simply thought the overall tone of the message was a bit too harsh.

I can only respond by saying, “Don’t shoot the messenger.”

Before I get my rant on, let me say this---I know at times I ain’t exactly no prize pig in the poke. In short, I know I can be a pain in the ass. I’m not perfect nor am I in the running to be Ms. South Side Condo Savior 2005. Nonetheless, I feel strongly not only about the sanctity of my home, but its appearance and business practices.

I simply don’t understand anyone who doesn’t feel the same.

It mystifies me why you wouldn’t want to take pride where you live. Why you wouldn’t want to make sure that as a condo association that everything is not only running in working order but in the best shape it could possibly be? I figure that all of us have to take most of the crap that the world dishes out eight hours a day, five days a week; we need a haven to recharge and relax. Why would you not want to put a little work into the crib?

Obviously not everyone shares my sentiment.

There are several things that bug me with this whole association maintenance thing:

Not everyone helps.
All of the unit owners benefit from the work of a few. I’m pretty sure that’s chapping a few people’s hides.

Some people, who do help, do so reluctantly and piss & moan about it the whole time.
Some of my neighbors are under the impression that I like to spend my personal time taking care of association maintenance. This is about as far from the truth as you could get. Just because I like to garden doesn’t mean I like doing it for everybody. Nonetheless, I know that if I want a nice looking outside, time has to be devoted to maintenance. Quid pro quo. Just ‘cause I don’t heavily sigh and roll my eyes about it does not mean that I like to spend my time towards the cause.

Not everyone has the same level of quality control.
Hallways not cleaned properly, dirt and cobwebs still in corners, grass clippings all over the sidewalk and lawn, perimeters not edges or clipped---in short half assed work.

Who’s the lucky individual who gets to hear about all of this? Until last week it was me.

But the biggest issue that just friggin pisses me off to no end is that everyone would feel the need to come to me at one point or another with the wailing and the gnashing of the teeth but didn’t have the stones to confront each other.

What, I ask you, is that all about?

So obviously, I’m left to be the bad guy (girl) and crack the whip.

When you think about it, it’s an ingenious strategy. It’s as if our developer put a curse on all of us; letting pettiness break the bonds of solidarity so we can’t reach our common goal of holding him responsible for his actions.

Unfortunately it may have not won me any allies in the upcoming pissing match that we call condo board elections. While I plan on running again, that doesn’t mean that I’ll get elected.

If I don’t get re-elected, I’ll have to follow my own advice and not take it personally.

No comments: