Sunday, October 16, 2005

Rock Star---Part II

You would think that someone who won 3rd place in a city wide gardening contest would know how to properly put down fertilizer.

No such luck.

I found out that after you put down the Scott's Turf Building you need to water it after a 24 hour waiting period. It didn't say that on the bag---I swear. I followed the instructions to the letter but noticed that the grass was starting to burn so I called the respository of lawn knowledge---otherwise known as my sister---to ask what I did wrong.

She told me that if I caught it early enough all I needed to do was water the grass. If not, I was going to have a fun time reseeding the lawn.

Yowsa!

Needless to say, I'm watering the lawn everyday for the next couple of days.

I also found out that I won 3rd place in the container garden category in Mayor Daley's Landscape Awards Program. Finally some recognition of my supreme gardening skills. Now if only I can crack the Chicago Tribune's Glorious Gardening Contest I would truly be a gardening rock star.

The Tribune's contest has gotten so competitive that I think you'd have to sacrifice your first born to even get a honorable mention.

The floral arts ain't for bitches.

1 comment:

The Woodlawn Wonder said...

While I'm somewhat drawn to gnomes, Posty, there are several reasons why I don't have them. First, they won't fit on my small balcony and second, I have a long standing rule about lawn ornaments. But if anything makes me break my long standing rule, rockin' biker gnomes might do the trick.

Fight the Power.