Monday, April 24, 2006

Unintended Consequences

I was in quite the foul mood today.

Association work had not been properly done, the lawn has a devastating grub problem, queries had not been answered and I found out that my evil developer is “renovating” another property that I can see from my kitchen window.

Pigeons, it was an Excedrin kind of day.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me recount the unintended consequences of that fateful breakfast meeting with the Mayor.

Believe it or not, a phone call came from one of the Mayor’s aides two days after the breakfast.

He was a nice enough man who patiently listened as I recounted the three most egregious issues (at least in my opinion) facing our association.

I mean, deadbeat former owners, third party defendants and crumbling porches is enough to start a conversation dontcha think?

Now that I think about it, I commend him for his fortitude.

Like the breakfast, I stayed focused and briefly recounted our issues. I followed that up with a binder full of supporting material two days later.

Working in close proximity to governmental officials does have a few perks. The pros are that it saves you ass loads of time checking things or running documents over to various departments.

The cons are that you may be target practice or mantra fodder for either homegrown crazies or the kind who seem to want to inflict large civilian casualties on our population.

Anyone who takes too many pictures of the Sears Tower gets the stink eye from this Chicagoan.

I can get gully if need be.

The binder was delivered and I gave the nice mayoral aide a few days to leaf through the raft of documents that I had just laid at his doorstep.

I decided it might be better if I took all of this on one issue at a time.

First on the list---CHAC policies relating to condominium associations.

No comments: